Tuesday, April 20, 2010

March 1914


Baldock Mar 10th ‘14

My Efbsftu, (Darling)
It has since occurred to me that I should much prefer blue, to match your scarf, but please yourself of course. I should like you to get a blue one though, Dadie. Am going to Westell’s nature lecture at P.O at Letchworth tomorrow. Bailey’s have taken a box for it.
Mpwf & ljttft (love & kisses) from Your own Rothwell

No pressure for the blue Hilda...
I realised I missed the one below so have included it before we get to far into 1914!


Baldock Dec 16th 1913

Lx Cdzqcrs (My Dearest) ‘Hildear’,
Am very sorry that I shall be unable to meet you on Friday (if you are returning then) So you ask Auntie to send down for you; you must not walk unless you are obliged to Ebejf (Dadie).
Will cycle up on Friday as soon as I can. Your P.C is awaited. Be a good girl; you will be very excited now I know. Goodbye Ifbqt & Ifbqt of hjttft (heaps & heaps of kisses) & love from Votre (your) Rothwell

I love that Rothwell is so certain that Hilda is barely able to contain herself at the thought of his arrival. What a confident 19 year old he was!

No comments: