Tuesday, November 23, 2010

June 1914 and a rainy day

I thought I'd start posting some of the wartime 'funnies' as we get closer to the time Rothwell was enlisted. There is a wonderful collection of very non politically correct cards in Grandmother's postcard album- this is the mildest.

Meanwhile we find Rothwell a little melancholy...it must be the weather, or being away from his dearest Dadie.



18 Broadway, Kettering
June 11th .14
5pm

Ma bien aimee,
At this moment I feel tired languid and sad: the weather is enough to make anyone melancholy. It was a glorious morning but now it is raining again. I have no news Dadie Darling. Since I wrote, nothing has happened. I got off at 1.340 today; I had thought of going to Northampton this afternoon to hear the Coldstream Guards full Band, but did not get out in time. I’m glad I did not go now. I wonder where you are at this moment Dadie. I do hope it is not raining at Barnet too, so that you have to stay in, for you don’t get much chance of fresh air & freedom. I hope you enjoy your day in Town on Saturday. Remember me to Auntie. They must have named this village after me. I have not been there yet: it is 4 miles from here. The crypt of the church is stacked with human bones. I shall cycle out sometime. I have 6 cards to send you yet- of Wookton Church, and the remaining 5, of wonderful monuments of the Montague family which are in there. Tea is ready. Goodbye my angel.
Love etc from yr own Rothwell.

No comments: